On Jun 18, 6:55 am, markscottwright wrote:
I've got an ordered list of MyClasses that I want to be able to do
binary searches on, but against a tuple. MyClass has valid
__lt__(self, rhs) and __eq__(self, rhs) member functions that work
when rhs is a tuple.

This works:
l = [MyClass(..), MyClass(..), ...]
l.find((a,b))

But this doesn't:
bisect.bisect(l, (a,b))

I'm assuming
... Don't. It can be dangerous.
this is because inside bisect, it does 'key < list[x]'
rather than 'list[x] < key', so it's the tuple's __lt__ that is
called, rather than MyClass's tuple.
Actually it appears (extremely gory details in Objects/object.c) that
it tries all rich comparison possibilities first:
tuple < myclass: not defined in tuple type
myclass > tuple: not defined in MyClass
before falling through to the default (which is based on addresses).
Is there a way around this? Can I monkeypatch a new __lt__ into the
tuple class?
Looks like you need to implement MyClass.__gt__

I suspect someone will say that this section of the manual is trying
to tell us this:
"""
There are no reflected (swapped-argument) versions of these methods
(to be used when the left argument does not support the operation but
the right argument does); rather, __lt__() and __gt__() are each
other's reflection, __le__() and __ge__() are each other's reflection,
and __eq__() and __ne__() are their own reflection.
"""
... "trying" being the operative word :-)

Alternatively, do you really need rich comparison? Consider defining
__cmp__ instead of 2 to 6 of the __lt__ etc brigade.

HTH,
John

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedJun 17, '08 at 8:55p
activeJun 17, '08 at 11:36p
websitepython.org

2 users in discussion

John Machin: 1 post Markscottwright: 1 post