On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 00:34:22 +0000, beginner wrote:

2) How can I make the arguments less picky without writing a lot of
type conversion code? My function really needs a tuple as its
argument. For example, f( (1,2,3) ) would work. However, in order to
make it easy to use, I am thinking that it should be able to take a
list too. In other words, I want f( [1,2,3] ) to work also. I can
certainly check for the types in the code and deal with each
situation. But remember this is tedious to do in C. Is there any
better way to handle this?
The same way as you would do in Python: convert the argument into a tuple
if you *really* need a tuple, or just use it as sequence or via iterator.
And pay attention to errors of course.

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

From http Fri Jul 27 08:35:44 2007
From: http (Paul Rubin)
Date: 26 Jul 2007 23:35:44 -0700
Subject: zip() function troubles

Peter Otten <__peter__ at web.de> writes:
When you are allocating a lot of objects without releasing them the garbage
collector kicks in to look for cycles. Try switching it off:
I think that is the answer. The zip took almost 2 minutes without
turning gc off, but takes 1.25 seconds with gc off. It turned a
linear-time algorithm into a quadratic one. I think something is
broken about a design where that can happen. Maybe Pypy will have
a generational GC someday.

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedJul 27, '07 at 12:34a