Hi all

I recently posted a question about subclassing. I did not explain my
full requirement very clearly, and my proposed solution was not pretty.
I will attempt to explain what I am trying to do more fully, and
describe a possible solution. It is still not pretty, so I would
appreciate any comments.

I have a base class (ClassA), which is an abstract class. Most of the
methods and attributes are common to all subclasses, so there is not
much they have to override.

I have a subclass (ClassB) of my base class, which is also abstract. It
represents a subset of ClassA, and overrides some of its methods. When
I create a concrete class (is that the correct term?) I subclass either
from ClassA or from ClassB.

Now I want to represent a different subset of ClassA, which overrides
some of its methods. This subset can apply to ClassB as well as to
ClassA.

In pseudo terms, I want ClassA1, ClassA2, ClassB1, and ClassB2 where A1
is the base class, B overides some methods, and 2 overrides other
methods, and I want to subclass from any of them.

My original solution involved passing 1 or 2 as an argument, and
putting some code into __init__ which redefined certain methods if it
received a 2. This worked, but it meant that I could not then easily
redefine the method again in a concrete class.

My new idea is to use multiple inheritance. This is how it would work.

class ClassA(object):
def __init__(self):
pass
def test1(self):
print 'Base method 1'
def test2(self):
print 'Base method 2'

class ClassB(ClassA):
def __init__(self):
ClassA.__init__(self)
def test1(self):
print 'Overriding method 1'

class Class2(object):
def test2(self):
print 'Overriding method 2'

Now I can set up the following concrete classes -

class ClassA1(ClassA):
def __init__(self):
ClassA.__init__(self)

class ClassA2(Class2,ClassA):
def __init__(self):
ClassA.__init__(self)

class ClassB1(ClassB):
def __init__(self):
ClassB.__init__(self)

class ClassB2(Class2,ClassB):
def __init__(self):
ClassB.__init__(self)

Now if I do the following, I get the results shown, which is what I
want -

ClassA1().test1() - 'Base method 1'
ClassA1().test2() - 'Base method 2'
ClassB1().test1() - 'Overriding method 1'
ClassB1().test2() - 'Base method 2'
ClassA2().test1() - 'Base method 1'
ClassA2().test2() - 'Overriding method 2'
ClassB2().test1() - 'Overriding method 1'
ClassB2().test2() - 'Overriding method 2'

Now for the real test -

class ClassC3(Class2,ClassB):
def __init__(self):
ClassB.__init__(self)
def test1(self):
print 'Overriding method 1 from ClassC3'
def test2(self):
print 'Overriding method 2 from ClassC3'

ClassC3().test1() - 'Overriding method 1 from ClassC3'
ClassC3().test2() - 'Overriding method 2 from ClassC3'

So it works. However, using multiple inheritance is not ideal, and I
believe it is not even supported in some languages. Can anyone suggest
a better way of tackling this problem?

Thanks

Frank Millman

grouppython-list @