From Matt Mon Feb 20 04:26:47 2006
From: Matt (Matt)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 03:26:47 GMT
Subject: Komodo - Will it Lock Me In?

Trent Mick wrote:
Perhaps you are thinking of some of the C/C++ IDEs (like Visual Studio
on Windows and Xcode on the Mac)
Hi Trent, Ravi,

Actually, I had two things in mind:

1) HTML editors - I made a website using Yahoo Sitebuilder. It's a pretty good
tool, but I didn't want to use it any more, but could not simply open my HTML
files with another editor. I had to spend many hours ripping out the
Sitebuilder goo first.

2) "RAD" tools. If you write code in VisualBasic, you can't use hardly any of
it in another Basic RAD tool such as RealBasic. They are ostensibly the same
language, Basic, but in reality there is only a surface resemblance.

I want to avoid this if I can with Python. I want to have my code, and then
work on it with different tools. I don't want to have to commit to one tool,
and then pray that the tool remains in existance. I was really pissed off when
Microsoft killed Visual Basic 6, and I was stuck with a huge mound of now
worthless code. I have to rewrite *all* of it. I never want to go through that
again, which is why I am considering Python.

Thanks,
Matt