"Luis M. Gonzalez" Announced:

IronPython 0.9 Released(8/2/2005 10:28:41 AM)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=cf5ae627-5df1-4f8a-ba8b-d64f0676f43f&displaylang=en
MS website says:

"""System Requirements

* Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003; Windows XP

You must install the .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package Beta 2 prior to installing IronPython."""

And

"""Important: You cannot install two different language versions of the .NET Framework on the same machine. Attempting to install a second language version of the .NET Framework will cause the following error to appear: "Setup cannot install Microsoft .NET Framework because another version of the product is already installed." If you are targeting a non-English platform or if you wish to view .NET Framework resources in a different language, you must download the appropriate language version of the .NET Framework language pack."""

So, one has to uninstall their stable .NET Framework to install a beta .NET Framework to try out a beta release of a new Python? Would this not be of concern to folks who actually build ontop of .NET (and want to be sure their current code / applications / tools work)?

It is really all or none with MS, isn't it? If the language/application is not ready for prime time, why would someone commit to beta code and a beta framework upon which other applications depend?

I may have the wrong perspective on all this, but it really befuddles me.

[Bring on PyPy]

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedAug 2, '05 at 6:41p