Well, I want to offer a more radical proposal: why not free squared
braces from the burden of representing lists at all? It should be
sufficient to write
list()
list() <snip>
From a visual comprehenison point of view, I would assert that the square form [] is much easier on the eyes than the subtler curved forms (e.g. "{" and "(").
Burdened with old eyes, small fonts, and an old, inflexible mind (;-), one of Python features near and dear to me are lists, [], and list comprehensions, but perhaps a more important point for 3.0 would be that there is a seamless consistency across the language (e.g. [list(), dict(), tuple()] or [ [], {}, () ] rather than [list(), {}, ()]) thus reflecting a cohesiveness both in underlying approach and symbology.

Even old guys can adjust to something new that is good and clean.

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedJul 8, '05 at 10:07p
activeJul 13, '05 at 2:30p