Being a new'ish user to both Linux and Python, I've been 'happily'
learning Python (2.3) with Idle and Tkinter as installed with Mandrake
10.
Thought I would try installing Python 2.4 (to completely replace 2.3)
(first time I've tried installing anything from source)

Followed the readme file (all done from my 'home' directory),

tar -zxvf Python-2.4.tgz
./configure
make
make test (2 skips unexpected on linux2:test_bz2 test_gdbm)
make install

Although I wasn't sure about some of the directory references,
'type "./configure" in the current directory'
'type "make" in the toplevel directory'.

All seemed to work without any errors, but starting Python from Idle
or a console displays the same statup text,

Python 2.3.3 (#2, Feb 17 2004, 11:45:40)
[GCC 3.3.2 (Mandrake Linux 10.0 3.3.2-6mdk)] on linux2

'which python' shows /usr/bin/python, and this file has not been updated

Is there something else I should do?
Also 'IF' I get 2.4 working, will Tkinter/Idle need any additional
installation work, or is it all done through the Python 2.4 installation

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedDec 17, '04 at 8:09p
activeDec 17, '04 at 11:46p