Could anyone tell me the efficient way to do this? Extracting values
from an array for a single condition (say all values greater than 'x')
using 'where' and 'compress' is simple enough.
from Numeric import arange,where,compress
data= arange(10)
data= [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9]
mask= where((data > 3),1,0)
result= compress(mask,data)
result
array([4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9])

But, 'where' doesn't appear to allow for multiple conditions in one
statement. For instance, I'd like to do something like:

mask= where((3 < data <= 7),1,0)

but, this won't work.

So, the best I could come up with was this more complicated process that
requires 2 separate masks and an extra temporary array.
mask1= where((data > 3),data,0)
mask1
array([0, 0, 0, 0, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9])
mask2= where((mask1<= 7),mask1,0)
mask2
array([0, 0, 0, 0, 4, 5, 6, 7, 0, 0])
r= compress(mask2,data)
array([4, 5, 6, 7])

Is there a more concise way?

Thanks,

J.S.

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedNov 29, '04 at 11:05p
activeNov 30, '04 at 2:48p
websitepython.org

2 users in discussion

Jorl Shefner: 2 posts Robert Kern: 1 post