It appears the fact that I also have ruby installed is causing the
problem? Should I uninstall ruby, do you think, and try re-installing
python? I'd prefer to have access to both of them, but Python is the
language I want to concentrate on at present.
I seem to recall ruby defines tcl/tk related environment variables
which may interfere with python. If you are not using ruby-tk,
I don't think you need to de-install but merely un-defining those
variables should correct the situation. I think that's what I did
long ago so I don't see those variable names myself, and can't
be more specific....

HTH,

Bernard.

grouppython-list @