[M Wells]
I recently downloaded and installed Python 2.3 for Windows (on XP
professional) and I don't seem to be able to run IDLE from my start
menu? It seems something happens when I click on it (ie I get an
hourglass) but no actual application turns up.

Has anyone else experienced this and can anyone give me some advice
on how to fix it?
In addition to the two possible causes Alex spelled out, another common
problem is some *other* program setting up Tcl or Tk environment variables
pointing to an inappropriate version of Tcl/Tk. The installer for Ruby is
the most common culprit for this problem, so if you've installed Ruby that's
probably the cause.

To check, open up a DOS box and try this:

C:\Python23>python
Python 2.3 (#46, Jul 29 2003, 09:29:04) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
import Tkinter
Tkinter._test()

grouppython-list @
categoriespython