Ted Weatherly wrote:
Is it possible to use python to automatically fill in the answers to
interactive shell command questions? For example, I am using a shell
command addperson that behaves as follows:
addperson
First Name: Ted
Birthday: 12/08/1977
Height: 6'0"
Location: San Francisco, CA
I am prompted for "First Name: " and I enter "Ted". I am prompted for
"Birthday: " and I enter "12/08/1977". Imagine doing this for 100
people or more...it gets tiresome.

Assuming I can't change the addperson command to read data from a
file, is there any way to use python to fill in the data for the
expected questions? Perhaps a different language would be better?

-Ted
As a last resort, you can always use PExpect. It pretends to be a user
sitting at a terminal. http://pexpect.sf.net

Ravi

grouppython-list @
categoriespython