Walter D?rwald wrote:

Behrang Dadsetan wrote:
Hi all,

I would like deleting specific characters from a string.
As an example, I would like to delete all of the '@' '&' in the
string 'You are ben at orange?enter&your&code' so that it becomes
'benorange?enteryourcode'.

So far I have been doing it like:
str = 'You are ben at orange?enter&your&code'
str = ''.join([ c for c in str if c not in ('@', '&')])

but that looks so ugly.. I am hoping to see nicer examples to acheive
the above..

What about the following:

str = 'You are ben at orange?enter&your&code'
str = filter(lambda c: c not in "@&", str)

Bye,
Walter D?rwald
def isAcceptableChar(character):
return charachter in "@&"

str = filter(isAcceptableChar, str)

is going to finally be what I am going to use.
I not feel lambdas are so readable, unless one has serious experience in
using them and python in general. I feel it is acceptable to add a named
method that documents with its name what it is doing there.

But your example would probably have been my choice if I was more
familiar with that type of use and the potential readers of my code were
also familiar with it. Many thanks!

Ben.

grouppython-list @
categoriespython