NP = chr(12) = <ctrl-L> = New Page (for printers)

Mike

the Moum's (Mike, Dede, Suzanne, Jeff, Kristen)
Tipp City, Ohio, USA
e-mail: mmoum at woh.rr.com
Learn about the Baha'i Faith at: http://www.bahai.org
Visit the United States Baha'i Site at: http://www.us.bahai.org
"Ray Tomes" <rtomes at ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
news:3F02086D.9010300 at ihug.co.nz...
Hi all

I am totally new to python. On the whole I really like the design of the
language and after just one day may be considered a convert.

I was trying to find out the exact definition of whitespace so I went to
look at strings.whitespace to find out which chars were whitespace, and
found 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 32 which according to my ancient ascii chart are
TAB, LF, VT, NP, CR, SPACE. Anyone know what NP = 12 is?

Also, in trying to find the ASCII (or is it ANSI) values for characters I
could not find the reverse function for chr() [in BASIC it is asc()]- can
someone please tell me what reverses chr()?

I had to do this yucky thing to decode whitespace ...

import string
x=string.whitespace
for b in x:
for i in range(256):