Cliff,

Thanks for the pointer. That got rid of the text showing up as
boxes. The other problem I was having was a wxStaticText control
object in my frame's toolbar keeps disapearing whenever I resize the
frame. It comes back if I give focus to another window and then
switch back, but refreshing the frame (or toolbar) on resize events
does not seem to help.