Frodo Morris wrote:
What advantage would this have over putting a #! line in the bytecode?
Faster, better, cheaper.
Imagine if parrot could understand all interpreted code. Why not leave
it running, so that any Perl/Python/Tcl/Ruby/Java/sh/BASIC/whatever code
can get to it immediately? A parrotd exec would consist of: "Run this."
"OK". A #! consists of "Does this file exist?" "Yes." "Does it
work?" "Yes." "OK, run this." "OK". I contend that a properly set up
parrotd *should* be faster than the equivalent "each language set up
separately" environment.
But not quite more secure. Imagine userX running a script that does
something nasty - like replace some command and then wait for root to
call it. This was a very simple example, since probably parrot would
recreate interpreters per script, but I guess it still could be possible
since it would be the same process...

I guess it's a lot safer to just fork as it is now.

--
WK (written at Stardate 56849.3)

"Data typing is an illusion. Everything is a sequence of bytes."
-Todd Coram