'global' keyword is not required when appending something to a global list
in local scope, since there's no assignment with list.append(). For example,
L = []
def f(): L.append(1)
f()
[1]

However, if you use '+=' things are changing.
def g(): L += [1]
g()
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'L' referenced before assignment

- Inyeol Lee

Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:<akll4h$d88$1 at slb0.atl.mindspring.net>...
Micah Mayo fed this fish to the penguins on Wednesday 28 August 2002
09:11 pm:
okay,

sourcePath = []
destPath = []
mlistLen = 0

populateLists():
I'm stale, and tend not to use globals if I can avoid them but...

Try inserting:

global mlistLen
global sourcePath
global destPath

at this location. I'm presuming your complaint is that mlistLen et al
aren't updating.
textFile = open('movelist')
for eachLine in textFile.readlines():
source, dest = eachLine.split()
sourcePath.append(source)
destPath.append(dest)
mlistLen += 1

moveFiles():
Also insert the global statements (syntax may allow comma separated
list -- check the docs)

Alternatively, forget about mlistLen totally and use

for x in range(len(sourcePath))
for x in range(mlistLen):
shutil.copy2(sourcePath[x],destPath[x])

So, that's the part that doesn't work almost line for line. --
============================================================== <
wlfraed at ix.netcom.com | Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG <
wulfraed at dm.net | Bestiaria Support Staff <
Bestiaria Home Page: http://www.beastie.dm.net/ <