In article <mailman.1010847137.7299.python-list at python.org>, Justin Sheehy
wrote:
"Tal Linzen" <pachy at 012.net.il> writes:
One feature I miss in python is the ability to break out of nested loops.
I've searched the newsgroup archives, and found a few threads discussing the
problem, with no apparent conclusion. The two solutions I've seen -- raising
an exception, or putting the loop inside a function and using the return
statement -- are unintuitive (meaning, I didn't come up with them myself
:-) ).
Know if anyone has drafted a PEP for a syntactic solution for this problem?
Who needs a syntactic solution now that you've found two very good
ways of doing this that already exist?
Both of the strategies you mention are well-known and very effective.
New syntax is only added when there's a really good justification or
when the new syntax is "print >>".
Further, the print syntax addition is harmless even if it is
unneccesary and ugly, as it doesn't use up a keyword and can't break
any existing working code.
IMHO "break n" (default n=1) wouldn't be ugly, at least less ugly than
the workarounds...

Example:

for x in range(10):
for y in range(10):