On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 01:23:17PM -0700, Ivan Fetch wrote:
At this point, even though I prefer to use packages when possible, I am leaning toward compiling Mailman from source because of:
1. Red Hat packages are typically more ancient
2. Ubuntu packages seem to include non-standard patches to Mailman (still sorting this out)
From what I remember, the Mailman packages for both Debian and Ubuntu
are pretty much the same.

In such a case, you're reliant on the maintainer updating fixes
promptly (or very rarely, the security team), along with necessary
modifications to conform with Debian policy.

Once one gets around those, one has something that's usable, and not
too difficult to operate, but I've not done a source <--> source
comparison for a while.

I'm lazy, and just use the versions in the repos, but am aware a
couple of folks on list either build their own PPAs or use others.
Additionally, has anyone run into problems with Python packages provided by Red Hat and Ubuntu?
Not with Ubuntu. I've not used Red Hat on my own boxes for several
years, now, mind.

--
Experience is what enables you to recognise a mistake
the second time you make it.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedNov 10, '10 at 8:23p