Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot. This worked.
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 5:08 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

Odhiambo Washington wrote:
I have several mailing lists hosted on a server. I basically moved these
lists from one server to the other by tarring up mailman/ from /usr/local,
and untarring up to /usr/local on the destination server once I had
configured the MTA properly.
For each list, I did:

./withlist -l -r fix_url LISTNAME -v -u DEFAULT_URL_HOST

However, I seem to still have a problem, and I think this has got something
to do with changing the configuration to have the archives being public,
when initially they were private.

Without mangling any names, I have the following:

http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/pipermail/kictanet/2005-April/000017.html

<http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/pipermail/kictanet/2005-April/000017.html
When
you go down that page, you find the url for the attachment. It has the wrong
DEFAULT_URL_HOST. It should be lists.kictanet.or.ke instead of
kictanet.or.ke. The listname in question is "kictanet".
The file that contains this attachment is available in the server
as /usr/local/mailman/archives/private/kictanet.mbox/*kictanet.mbox*
However, when I go
to /usr/local/mailman/archives/private/kictanet/attachments/ no
attachments
are available for some dates since the list was created. I did not delete
any files so I believe there is a way to generate these from
kictanet.mbox,
somehow, yes?

What exactly should I do to fix the broken link and the missing attachment
directories?

The archive pages are static pages. Thus, when you tarred up Mailman
and moved it, you brought over incorrect links to scrubbed attachments.

To fix this, rebuild the entire archive for a list with, e.g.

bin/arch --wipe kictanet

(see bin/arch --help). This will recreate the entire pipermail archive
from the
/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/kictanet.mbox/kictanet.mbox file.

This is why I generally recommend when moving archives to a new host to
move only the archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox and to
recreate archives/private/listname/* with bin/arch rather than moving
it.

Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
Nairobi,KE
+254733744121/+254722743223
"If you have nothing good to say about someone, just shut up!."
-- Lucky Dube

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJun 30, '10 at 9:14a