Barry Finkel wrote:
I have a Mailman 2.1.9 Uncaught bounce notification:

From: <>
To: LISTNAME-bounces at example.com
Subject: Returned mail: unreachable recipients:gingehen at wicc.weizmann.ac.il

The original message was received at Thu Nov 8 14:58:21 2007

Likely reason for failure: 550 5.1.1 <gingehen at wicc.weizmann.ac.il>... User unknown

Why was this not caught as a standard 550 rejection? Is it because the
initial mail received a 250 return code

No. It is because the DSN is not an RFC 1894/RFC 3464 compliant DSN and
it is not one of the many non-compliant formats that Mailman 2.1.9
recognizes.

I am right now in the process of trying to wrap up the 2.1.10 beta
release and the last thing on my list is adding recognition for more
non-standard DSNs (I have a collection).

Please send me off list the complete DSN from the uncaught bounce
notification, and I'll try to get it in the set that 2.1.10 recognizes.

BTW, I realize that it is trivial for a human to look at one of these
(at least the ones that are in a language the human reads - they
aren't all in English) and determine that it is a notice of a
permanent failure and what the failed address is, but there are still
things (such as recognizing DSNs and spam) that humans are much better
than software at doing.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedNov 8, '07 at 5:27p
activeNov 9, '07 at 2:08a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 1 post Barry Finkel: 1 post