From: mailman-users-bounces+yan=jointtech.com at python.org
[mailto:mailman-users-bounces+yan=jointtech.com at python.org] On Behalf Of
Dragon
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 2:43 PM
To: mailman mailing list
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Limit to the Number of Subscribers for
eachlist?

Larry Stone sent the message below at 14:09 8/29/2007:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007, Dragon wrote:

Lots of us have done just that. I run my lists on a server owned by
friend and have pretty much free reign to do whatever I want.
If you can justify the costs of doing so, it is a good solution. For
people like me who do this both as a hobby and for a non-profit
organization, the trick is finding a place to host that server that
won't cost an arm and a leg.
Other than my time of installing it and configuring it, I have no costs. I
run it on my iMac that sits at home. My DSL provider has no problems with
servers. Volume is low enough that my 384Kbps upstream is adequate. Until
a few months ago, that iMac was also my main desktop machine. While it's
now a dedicated server, there's nothing about Mailman and whatever MTA you
use that requires them to be on a dedicated server - they'll be quite
happy to chug along in the background.

The problem is that not everyone has an ISP that is willing to allow
a user to run an SMTP server or web server on a home machine.

The server my friend owns that hosts my stuff is on a Cox business
account with a static IP. Cox is one of many ISPs that won't allow
their subscribers to run such a server on a standard home broadband
connection, they will only allow such traffic on a business account.

As with everything, your mileage will vary.

Dragon

Searchable Archives:
Unsubscribe:
http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/yan%40jointtech.com