D G Teed wrote:
It doesn't really matter if the list name is in any particular case,
but I'd like the DEFAULT_SUBJECT_PREFIX
to keep the original case of the list name. Because we have
lists named after course names, it would look a little odd for
only the first char to be upper case (e.g. [Srmk4563a1] rather than
[SRMK4563A1].

Looking at MailList.py, I see where realname is being set:

self.real_name = internalname[0].upper() + internalname[1:]

You could just change that to

self.real_name = internalname.upper()

which would set the initial real_name of the list to all upper case and
the subject_prefix would follow.

I considered adding another variable on the next line and then
reference that in my defaults file. However, I think it
would require that I map all of my lists to uppercase
in the new variable, since it seems like the original name
is converted to lowercase internally when the list is created.
I'm not sure whether mapping all mailing lists to upper case
for the DEFAULT_SUBJECT_PREFIX would be acceptable.

The internal_name should be all lower case. I'm not certain, but I
think lots would break if it weren't. The real_name can be changed via
the web admin interface and can be anything at all as long as it
differsd from the internal_name only by case, i.e., any combination of
letters of the internal_name can be upper-cased for the real_name.

So it gets back to my original question, which I have googled and
can't see the answer: can I safely remove the line inside the newlist
script which maps the list name to lowercase?

I don't think so.

- --

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython