It doesn't really matter if the list name is in any particular case,
but I'd like the DEFAULT_SUBJECT_PREFIX
to keep the original case of the list name. Because we have
lists named after course names, it would look a little odd for
only the first char to be upper case (e.g. [Srmk4563a1] rather than
[SRMK4563A1].

Looking at MailList.py, I see where realname is being set:

self.real_name = internalname[0].upper() + internalname[1:]

I considered adding another variable on the next line and then
reference that in my defaults file. However, I think it
would require that I map all of my lists to uppercase
in the new variable, since it seems like the original name
is converted to lowercase internally when the list is created.
I'm not sure whether mapping all mailing lists to upper case
for the DEFAULT_SUBJECT_PREFIX would be acceptable.

So it gets back to my original question, which I have googled and
can't see the answer: can I safely remove the line inside the newlist
script which maps the list name to lowercase?

--Donald