I have to convert all of our Majordomo lists to Mailman. I have some
questions about the subscriber passwords.

For each list I convert, I will be taking the existing Majordomo list
subscriber e-mail addresses and doing a "Mass Subscription" via the
Mailman list administrator web page.

1) If I send welcome messages to the subscribers, then each
subscriber will get a randomly generated password in the
welcome message. If I choose not to send the welcome
message, then is there a password generated? If so, how
does the subscriber authenticate to the web page in
order to update his/her subscription options?

2) In the initial lists I will be converting, there are persons who
are subscribed to multiple lists. These subscribers will receive a
different password for each list, if I send welcome messages. Is
there a way of synchronizing the passwords? From my reading of the
FAQ and looking at the web page, a subscriber can use one of the
lists and the randomly generated password in the welcome message,
go to the web, and globally change the passwords for all of
his/her lists. I would prefer to have some way of generating a
random password for a user for the first list to which he/she is
subscribed, and then to use the same password for the subsequent
lists, as I convert them.

Thanks.
Barry S. Finkel
Argonne National Laboratory Phone: +1 (630) 252-7277
9700 South Cass Avenue Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-4601
Building 222, Room D209 Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov
Argonne, IL 60439-4828 IBMMAIL: I1004994

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedFeb 5, '07 at 7:44p
activeFeb 14, '07 at 9:06p