Mark Sapiro wrote:
Patrick Bogen wrote:
On 5/18/06, Imre Gergely wrote:
i have some problems with a mailman list.
if i send from user A, to list L, and CC to B and C (where A,B,C are list
members on the same list), the mail i got back from the list (to user A) is
missing a CC address.
i mean when i look at the message (using firefox) there is only one user (B) in
the CC list, the other one is gone.
Is user C a member of list L? Mailman tries to not send duplicates,
and it may in fact do this by stripping the address from the CC and
sending it as a normal list post.
Patrick is correct as to what happens, but it is a mystery to me why
this is done. The AvoidDups handler makes a list of all explicit
recipients of a message (addresses in To:, Cc:, Resent-To: and
Resent-Cc:). It then goes through the message recipients (normally,
the non-digest list members with delivery enabled) and any message
recipient that is a list member and has DontReceiveDuplicates set is
removed from the message recipients so that address doesn't receive a
list message because it presumably receive a directly addressed
message. So far, so good.

But then, for reasons I don't understand, AvoidDups then removes this
address from the Cc: header, if that's where it was. It doesn't remove
it if it is in To:, Resent-To: or Resent-Cc:. It just removes it from
Cc:. It is not clear (to me at least) why.

But the bottom line is any address in Cc: that would otherwise have
received the post from the list and that has DontReceiveDuplicates set
will not receive the post from the list (because it presumably
received the Cc:) and will be removed from the Cc: header of the
message sent from the list.

Note that this does not affect digest members who are in Cc: because
they will not be candidate recipients of the message.
let me get this straight. when somebody who is on the list, is also in the CC:
of the message, it wont get the mail from the list, only from the original
poster, right? that's what this DontReceiveDupes does.

but the other members of the list do get the mail. they should see in the Cc:
that one person, who didn't get it because of above condition. or am i wrong here?

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 18, '06 at 12:49p
activeMay 19, '06 at 4:14p