From: "Brad Knowles" <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org>
To: "Phil usps" <paa at usps.org>
Cc: "Users List Mailman" <Mailman-Users at python.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 2:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Internet Service Providers and Spam

At 9:08 AM -0400 2006-05-09, Phil usps wrote:

We are in the middle of a contest with a very large, popular, and
well-established ISP, who insists on declaring as spam, any message sent
more than 100 of its customers. Since it is "spam", it is automatically
bounced, and hundreds of our list members not only do not receive the
message, the Mailman bounce features handle the bounce action as
instructed.
This can lead to "disable" or "discard".
All your attempts to work around this problem are likely to result in more
pain and hassle for you. If the messages are legitimate, you need to work
with the ISP in question. If they refuse to do that, then cut them loose
and tell everyone who is a customer of that ISP that they are not welcome
on your lists.

If you do anything else, said ISP is likely to consider your efforts to be
the same as any regular spammer that tries to by-pass their anti-spam
efforts, and will treat this as proof that you are, in fact, spamming
their members.

Yes, this includes AOL, Yahoo!, hotmail, and all the others.

Yes, I was Sr. Internet Mail Administrator for AOL, and I have personal
experience from the other side. I know how they work. That's part of why
I don't work there anymore.

Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

LOPSA member since December 2005. See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 9, '06 at 1:08p