Brad Knowles wrote:
Tony G wrote:
I do not get dupes of all mails otherwise I'd suspect double
subscription. The Avoid Duplicates flag is set. This only happens
for mails that have the list in the CC - I understand the dupe
flag is for when people use ReplyAll and the recipient is in both
the list of subscribers and the CC for the mail.
It's not just the recipient, but the exact same recipient
address. So, if you're subscribed to the list with one address, and
they cc: a different address of yours, then the system has no way to
tell that these are both the same person.
No one on this list has any other address of mine and the dupes aren't to
threads where I have posted. Checking with individuals and the headers I
am not being sent mail from anywhere except mailman.

I believe the code is supposed to filter duplicate
Message-IDs to a given recipient no matter how those dupes are
generated, but I'm getting them. Any ideas?
No, the code doesn't work at the Message-ID level. It works at
the level of the listed recipients in the To: and CC: headers.
I was mislead by discussions like these:
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2001-August/009467.htm
l>
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2002-March/010911.html

And this code referred to in one of those threads:
<http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/Current/mailman-117/mailman/M
ailman/Handlers/AvoidDuplicates.py>

If you want filtering done at the Message-ID level, then you need
to apply that on your end -- either use a program like procmail to
filter all your incoming mail, or set up your MUA to discard
duplicates, etc....

There's nothing more that Mailman can do to help you.
I am filtering the dupes. What confuses me is that they are only coming
from one list that uses mailman. You sent TO me and CC'd the list but I
only got one copy as one would hope. It's for this reason that I suspect
that this other list (mono-list at ximian) have some broken version of
Mailman. Of course they put the blame back on my server or MUA. All I'm
trying to do here is diagnose and help people to fix open source software.
Isn't that why we're all here?

Thanks.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython