Mike Brudenell wrote:
I had, incorrectly by the sound of it, assumed Mailman worked the same way
because:

1) Mailman's built-in help text for the 'description' setting says:

description (general): A terse phrase identifying this list.
This description is used when the mailing list is listed with
other mailing lists, or in headers, and so forth. It should be
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
as succinct as you can get it, while still identifying what the
list is.

OK, so the above might refer to the 'header' you can get Mailman to include
within the message body up at the top, or it could mean the true headers of
messages (ie, the To:/From:/Subject:/Received:/etc header lines).

As I said in my original reply, when the list is anonymous, the
'description' is included in the From: header, so the above, while
misleading in your case, is correct in that the description is used in
some cases in an actual message header.

By itself it's a bit ambiguous, but then we also have:

2) Section 2.1.1 of the Mailman Admin help pages at GNU's site
<http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-admin/node10.html>
says this:

description
In the general list overview page, which shows you every
available mailing list, each list is displayed with a short
description. The contents of this variable is that description.
Note that in emails from the mailing list, this description is
also used in the comment section of the To: address. This text
should be relatively short and no longer than one line.

This seems pretty clear, and I also found the same information on other
sites' help pages using Google (sadly I didn't note down the URLs for any
of these).

Yes, it is clear, but unfortunately, it's wrong.

I'll just assume that Mailman (now) doesn't/shouldn't rewrite the "To:"
header as standard and the Mailman Administration help page is out of date.

And we'll get the manual corrected.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedApr 7, '06 at 3:30p
activeApr 10, '06 at 3:47p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mike Brudenell: 2 posts Mark Sapiro: 2 posts