I'm not quite sure what you've just written here. What is AOL blocking?

Sally Scheer

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Crocker" <dhc2 at dcrocker.net>
Cc: <mailman-users at python.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 7:56 PM
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Goodmail spells doom for mailing lists?

Has anyone talked about the changes planned by AOL, Yahoo! etc. to
require "certification" via Goodmail or just be blocked?
It's been beaten to death -- at this point I can't recall if here or on
other lists. Essentially it means nothing. AOL backpedaled the next day
saying it wasn't a press release, they aren't requiring anything, blah
blah
blah.

Having looked over the earlier articles I could find in the archive, and
given
how sensitive mailing list operation is to various mail authentication
techniques -- e.g., SPF really does break it -- and given that AOL did not
quite
say that they are not requiring anything, I thought it worth reciting the
current policy, as both yahoo and aol are stating quite explicitly:

Their use of Goodmail is for "transaction" messages, like purchase
confirmations
and is only an adjunct to both service providers' existing mechanisms.
For
example, AOL with be continuing both of its existing white-list services.

From what I can tell, the Goodmail technology does not work through a
mailing
list. From what I can tell, limited its application to transaction mail
will
keep this from being a problem.

--

Dave Crocker