Great, thank you for the answer to this.

Matthew Ruzicka - Systems Administrator
Front Range Internet, Inc.
matt at frii.net - (970) 212-0728

Got SPAM? Take back your email with MailArmory. http://www.MailArmory.com
On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Mark Sapiro wrote:

Matt Ruzicka wrote:
The question I have is, how long does that list of addresses need to stay
in the system after mailman receives the message to post and it starts
sending?
By the time Mailman begins delivery to the MTA, Handlers/CalcRecips.py
has already built the recipient list.
Looking in my logs I see that batches of messages are taking some time to
be sent, but has mailman already decided who all it is going to send to as
soon as it receives the post or does it run through the list of addresses
in its database as it is sending out batches of messages?
It has completely decided who to send to not immediately, but before it
begins sending.
If this is more of an MTA issue, we are using Postfix as the MTA, but does
Mailman send the full list of addresses to Postfix for it to decide how to
batch them?

Mailman creates chunks (assuming we're not verping) no bigger than
SMTP_MAX_RCPTS (default 500) for delivery to Postfix, and postfix does
its own batching with those, but the whole list is built by Mailman
before it creates the first chunk.

If Mailman decides right away, either deciding on batching itself or
handing it to Postfix for batching I would think he could remove the list
of addresses soon after the message is sent (or at least as soon as he has
verified messages have started sending). If it reads live I realize the
answer will be "it can be removed when it is done", which is fine, I just
want to know which we are dealing with.

It's the former. There are other issues around bounce processing, but I
gather this may not be a concern.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedApr 15, '05 at 10:20p
activeApr 18, '05 at 2:41p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Matt Ruzicka: 2 posts Mark Sapiro: 1 post