On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 01:48:47PM -0500, John Dennis wrote:
On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 12:53 -0500, Todd Slater wrote:
I'd be interested in knowing if anybody is successfully using Mailman
under User Mode Linux and what sort of specs this requires. I am trying
it with 64MB RAM and have memory errors, but I'm also running Apache and
Dovecot for IMAP mail. httpd and python seem to use the most memory.
That's running on Fedora Core 2.

FAQ 1.24:
In theory, Mailman should work on any hardware/operating system that
fully supports the current version of Python (e.g., 2.3), and includes
compatible web and mail servers. This does include virtual machine
configurations.
I believe you're assumption is correct, mailman should run fine in a
virtual machine. When you say you're getting memory errors I assume you
meant you've exhausted virtual memory and swap space in your VM, if
that's correct I don't think there is much you can do aside from improve
your VM. I don't personally have any experience with UML but I can tell
you that virtualization is getting a lot of attention here of late and
the preferred technology is Xen, not UML, info on Xen can be found here:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen
Yes, it's a memory problem that has happened twice now and requires a
restart of the VPS. I believe the first culprit was an Apache module,
Mod_survey, doing a data export; the second, Namazu indexing some
Mailman archives. I think you're right, I'll have to add more RAM, but I
was hoping not to spend the extra $10/month ;) Tech support believes
Mailman is the problem because it was the only thing showing memory use
from ps -aux.

Are you aware of any hosting providers that use Xen?

Thanks for the info,
Todd

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython