From kline Mon Sep 20 12:35:56 2004
From: Gary Kline <kline>
To: Mailman Users List <mailman-users at python.org>
Subject: gid problems or something else??

Hi People,

I spent most of the weekend trying to install Mailman;
no-joy. I got close late Saturday night when I received
a "wwlist-request" from my Mailman server on 'sage.thought.org'.
When I sent in the reply to "coonfirm" it bounced; the
return mail said there was no such user as "wwlist-request".

This appears to be a gid problem. Originally, I build things
strictly out of the box. I played around with the mailman
binary; it said that I should rebuild the suite with
'--with-mail-gid=wheel' rather than "mailnull". I rebuilt and
reinstalled. No difference. This morning I rebuilt my mailman
port from scratch. Here is the output from sendmail's
/var/mail/maillog:

Sep 20 11:49:39 sage Mailman mail-wrapper: Group mismatch error. Mailman
expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as group "mailnull", but
the system's mail server executed the mail script as group "daemon". Try
tweaking the mail server to run the script as group "mailnull", or re-run
configure, providing the command line option `--with-mail-gidÚemon'.
Sep 20 11:49:39 sage sendmail[24478]: i8KInch0024476:
to="|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner wwlist",
ctladdr=(1/0), delay�:00:00,
xdelay�:00:00, mailer=prog, pri9083, dsn=5.3.0, stat=unknown mailer
error 2

I'm trying to set up Mailman on my DNS server, ns1.thought.org,
alias sage.thought.org. This servr is running FreeBSD 5.2.1
and sendmail.

If re-running ./configure with the option
`--with-mail-gidÚemon', that would be the easiest fix.
Otherwise, any help to help me figure out what I'm doing
wrong and how to fix it would be a mjor help++ !

thanks,

gary kline

--
Gary Kline kline at thought.org www.thought.org Public service Unix