At 12:02 PM -0400 2004-07-07, malgosia askanas (staff) wrote:

As I mentioned yesterday, our company is in the process of contemplating
the conversion of our listserver from majordomo to Mailman.

We currently host about 550 lists. The largest list has about
77,000 members;
the second largest, about 33,000 members. There are about 1000 messages
sent to our lists daily.
See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.015.htp>
for information regarding the largest size lists that have been known
to run Mailman.
We would be running Mailman with Postfix under NetBSD.

What kinds of problems -- performance and otherwise -- would we be likely to
run into if we switch to Mailman? I have seen some past discussions of
Mailman performance problems on the Web, but many of them are pretty old.
What are the current problems? Could you-all aid my foresight by sharing
with me your wisdom about this?
Everything is going to be dependant on your hardware, OS,
software configuration, etc....

It is entirely possible to run lists of this size on remarkably
low-end hardware, if you've gotten the configuration correct. Or,
you could have major problems on a high-end machine, if the system is
not configured correctly. It all depends on what you've got and how
you use it.

I recommend you search the FAQ for terms like "performance" and
"VERP", and read all of the entries that are found.

You may also want to search the postfix documentation, and read
their pages regarding performance tuning, etc....

Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJul 7, '04 at 4:02p
activeJul 7, '04 at 4:30p