Bausch, Jean wrote:
I have now found who swallows the Umlauts in message bodies:

I had inserted a 'fmt -s -w 80' in the mail aliases. Unfortunately on Solaris 7 this command erases the Umlauts.
Interesting. You can try changing that to

LANG=de_DE fmt -s -w 80

to make sure Solaris can handle the 8 bit characters. But this assumes
every email you put through will be in iso-8859-1, which is increasingly
not true in today's international world.

If you don't specify a LANG, or specify the wrong one, fmt doesn't know
what character set the input file is in, and if it's a multibyte
character set (UTF-8, UTF-16, or any Japanese/Chinese/Korean character
set) it might end up splitting a character between bytes when it inserts
a newline. So they do the "safe" thing and strip all 8-bit characters
when LANG is not set.
Hence my next question:
Is there an option in mailman 2.1.2 to autowrap the messages after 80 characters or so?
I don't think there's really a safe way to do this. It would certainly
screw up signatures on emails.

All MIME emails are required to be 76 characters or less per line; you
could write a Handler (look at Mailman/Handlers/Decorate.py for an
example in the Mailman source code) to take any non-MIME emails and
automatically make them a single text/plain attachment encoded with
quoted-printable, but you'll need to be careful about character set
issues for the UTF-8 and CJK users.

The email.Message and email.Charset modules make this really easy; all
the work is already done for you.

Ben

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJun 12, '03 at 8:24a
activeJun 13, '03 at 5:44p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Bausch, Jean: 2 posts Ben Gertzfield: 1 post