2009/11/12 Tarek Ziad? <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>:
On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Ray Allen wrote:
[..]
# Loop through list
count = 1
print "Python is ... "
for each in python:
??? print count,each
??? count += 1
I'd replace this bloc by:

# Loop through list
print "Python is ... "
for index, each in enumerate(python):
? ?print index + 1, each

(using enumerate is much more pythonic than using a count variable)
I would avoid the counter.

I learned to iterate a list by using a counter as an index into the
list. When I was shown that I didn't need the counter, I felt uneasy
- perhaps even in denial that this was a good thing - seemed like a
short cut. Weeks or months later it hit me: The reason I needed it
in those other languages is because they didn't have this 'feature',
so the counter/index/item was a work around.

A few months ago someone getting started with python was asking me
~"why is the counter/index/item pattern so cumbersome?" A:"Because
you normally don't need the counter." I could see in his eyes the
exact same disbelief I had felt.

I think we should to focus on what makes python different.

--
Carl K

groupadvocacy @
categoriespython