On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Randall Lucas wrote:
On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 7:50 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

I believe the most likely theory is that your copy of /sw/bin/awk
got corrupted during the transfer from your old machine, and the
second most likely theory is that the executable is bitwise the same
but it doesn't play nice with the system libraries on your new box,
and the third is that there was something wrong with that specific
Fink-port build (though if so, it should have failed on your old
machine too). In any case it sounds like a very local problem.

I will try compiling 8.3.3 (and testing gawk) on my old 10.4 Intel Mac
which was the source of the gawk binary. I'll also report if the
binary is bitwise identical. No reply solicited for that; I just want
to keep it all in the same thread for archival / search engine
purposes.
$ /sw/bin/awk -W version
GNU Awk 3.1.5

Confirming that reinstalling Fink de novo on OS X 10.5 gives me a
properly working gawk.

grouppgsql-ports @
categoriespostgresql
postedJun 27, '08 at 11:25p