Paul,

Thanks for the link to the new make source code. I hadn't originally
found the beta source code on alpha.gnu.org when I downloaded the
3.81beta2 code back in September, so I didn't think to look there. I
did check ftp.gnu.org and found out 3.80 was still the official release.

Upgrading GNU make did the trick. I'm able to compile the PostgreSQL
source code using a "make -j 8" command on our Sun V490. This
compilation problem appears to have simply been a bug in GNU Make
3.81beta2 that was fixed somewhere along the way to 3.81rc1. Thanks
again for the help.

Steve