Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 10:07:15AM +0100, Zeugswetter Andreas DCP SD wrote:
PS: I'd prefer if readline was only linked where it is needed, namely in
psql.
The problem as stated is that people don't want to maintain lists of
libraries as needed by each program, so we link all of them.

Since it seems to always be the same few libraries that cause us
problems, maybe a simpler approach would be to, in the Makefile, use
filter-out to exclude libraries you *know* aren't needed. Like in the
Makefile we put:

postgres: $(OBJS)
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) $(export_dynamic) $^ $(filter-out -lreadline -ledit, $(LIBS)) -o $@
Agreed. I have no idea why this has not been done already.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
pgman@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 359-1001

grouppgsql-ports @