Andrew Overholt wrote:
djee
Bcc:
Subject: Re: [PORTS] [GENERAL] Redhat RPMs

Lamar Owen once said:
On Friday 10 October 2003 08:52 pm, Christopher Browne wrote:

Oops! nandrews@investsystems.co.uk ("Nigel J. Andrews") was seen
spray-painting on a wall:
I've not looked at many RPMs but I must say that the few I have have
never been relocatable. Can the postgresql RPMs not be made
relocatable?
I tried this once but had many issues with initdb and a few others IIRC.
The locations of data directories and such was being hard-coded in them at
compile time and I had to do a lot of sed-ing in the specfile to make it
work. I know I accomplished that but ended up hitting a wall with
something ... I'll look in my old mail to remind myself what it was.
If we go with the Debian proposal of a specific package name for each
version that has a different catalog version (needs pg_dump +
pg_restore) and multiple versions installed we can basically eliminate
this. The paths provided to configure in each of these packages will
have a different base directory, which includes the version, so each
package will be a 'normal' package, not a relocatable one.

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat Canada Ltd. E-Mail: fnasser@redhat.com

grouppgsql-ports @