despite the help offered by several FAQs and on these lists, it can be a
Mercifully, the latest cygwin downloads include PostgreSQL, and it works
fine, almost out of the box.
1) Install cygwin from www.cygwin.com.
2) Donwload the binary cygipc distribtuion from
(Tested w/cygipc 1.09-2)
3) Move the cygipc tarball to the root of your cygwin installation
(by default, c:\cygwin)
4) In cygwin, unpack this with:
tar xzvf /cygipc-1.09-2.tar.gz
5) Start cygipc running with /usr/local/bin/ipc-daemon &
6) initdb -D /var/pgsql
7) pg_ctl -D /var/pgsql
8) psql template1
Worked fine for me, and much easier than the tangle of things to try
when working from the source install.
(Tried on Win2000 professional & Win2000 server).
The short story: if you've tried before and given up, try now.
Joel Burton <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Director of Information Systems, Support Center of Washington