Gary Cowell wrote:

I'm not as familiar with postgresql as I am with
Oracle but I think I've configured comparible
buffering and sort area sizes, certainly there isn't
much physical IO going on in either case.
People are going to want to know:
1. version of PG
2. explain analyse output, rather than just explain
3. What values you've used for the postgresql.conf file

The actual plan from explain analyse isn't going to be much use - as you
say, a scan of the whole table followed by sorting is the best you'll
get. However, the actual costs of these steps might say something useful.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd

grouppgsql-performance @