Sean,
I thought that at first, but there are only a half dozen or so people on
the system. So I would have taken a gap of 3-4 of 'transactions in
progress', but the 33 gap is far too big for that - unless its a caching
issue. I have had no reports of missing data though (and the numbers on
the physical data would seem to echo that it's all ok - ie the 52 rec is
pre crash by about 2-3 mins and the 85 rec is just after the restart).
Typically these tables increase by 30-50 rows a day - so a gap of 33 is
a whole days worth!

I've checked the code this morning and can only find 2 sets of inserts
into the tables in question - one in the manual entry and one in a batch
process. So I checked the batches around that time and nothing was
transferred.
Totally stumped. I could also have taken 'corruption' on one of the
sequences, but I must have 5 sequences (all related tables in this area)
that all exhibit the same 33 gap. I'm obviously missing something
obvious here, but I just can't see it.

PS the version of PostgreSQL is a bit old - its an 8.0.3