David Monarchi wrote:
PG 8.2.4

Hello -

I need to append rows to an existing table that is in a production
db. There are 60 fields in the table and 17 indexes, including the
primary key. I cannot drop the indexes because the data is being
actively accessed by users. I can't create a duplicate table because
we do not have enough disk storage to do so at this time.

I believe that the SQL COPY statement will delay updating the indexes
until after it has inserted the rows because (again, I believe) the
copy is treated as a single transaction that either succeeds or fails.
No, COPY does not delay updating indexes. You are correct that a COPY
command is atomic (occurs inside a transaction). See here for details:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/populate.html

Sean

grouppgsql-novice @
categoriespostgresql
postedJul 4, '07 at 8:23p
activeJul 4, '07 at 8:57p
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

David Monarchi: 1 post Sean Davis: 1 post