I have a question concerning database backups. From what I've learned in
the Admin guide, simply letting our ADSM backup run over the files will
not provide a consistent backup of the databases, so I should use pg_dump
or pg_dumpall.

Ok, now since this is a multi-user box I've setup password authentication
in pg_hba.conf for all users. With this configuration I cannot run
pg_dumpall anymore, I tried to run it with "pg_dumpall -u" and I get:

[pgsql@gerda ~/data]$ pg_dumpall -u
--
-- pg_dumpall (7.1.2) -u
--

Password:
psql: Password authentication failed for user 'pgsql'

DELETE FROM pg_group;

Password:
Password:

--
-- Database template1
--

Password:
Password:

--
-- Database template1
--

Connection to database 'template1' failed.
ERROR: Missing '=' after 'pgsql' in conninfo

pg_dump failed on template1, exiting

It doesn't accept my password (although I'm sure I typed correctly), and
it doesn't dump anything. Using pg_dump works, but this is quite
inacceptable since I don't want to dump each database on its own.

Another question is how I should dump the db on a nightly cron job, since
it always asks for a password, and I found no way of supplying it except
by typing it in at the prompt (do I really have to work with expect?).

TIA,
regards,
le

--