I can get 6.1 (041797.gz) to compile. Initdb runs ok as does
createdb, but psql is having trouble getting in sync with
the backend.

I do a '\d' and I get a "FATAL: unrecoginzed data from the \
backend. It probably dumped core.FATAL: unrecognized data from \
the backend. It probably dumped core."

Entering \d a few more times get is to spit out ...

"unknown protocol character 'e' read from the backend."
"unknown protocol character 's' read from the backend."
"unknown protocol character 'n' read from the backend."
"unknown protocol character 'a' read from the backend."
"unknown protocol character 'm' read from the backend."
"unknown protocol character 'e' read from the backend."

Appears to be reading the query from psql as protocol characters.

What has been done with the libpq? Is it something with the
ENDIAN stuff? I'll admit I'm rather clueless when it comes to
the backend<->frontend communication, but I'm willing to dig if
someone who does know about it could maybe give me a diagnosis
and a pointer in the right place to look...

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedApr 18, '97 at 5:21p
activeApr 18, '97 at 5:21p