Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 12:08:41 +0100
From: Keith Parks <emkxp01@mtcc.demon.co.uk>
To: hackers@postgresql.org, dave@alice.turbocat.de
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Getting number of modified records?

Hi,

I was just checking through some old mail in my mailbox and came across this
message with no replies.
from the hackers list (no answers for a long time)
I know we don't currently report the number of rows updated.

Would anyone familliar with the PostgreSQL update mechanism be able to comment
on how easy (or difficult :-( ) this would be to impliment.

I use Oracle at work and I find it quite comforting to see a message like
"1 row updated" when I type in a query that I intend to update 1 row.

If I get "23,000,000 rows updated" I know I've gone wrong :-)
Yes. The same is needed for the adaptor for NeXT's Enterprise Objects
Framework. I am writing such a beast. Currently, I do a select to look how many
rows match the qualifier and remember that number. But that's not what I call
nice. (You can find the adaptor for NeXT, Intel and SUN on my homepage)

Is there a way, to lock a record? A HOLDLOCK-Lookalike? In my view, that's a
must-have too.
_ _
_(_)(_)_ David Wetzel, Turbocat's Development,
(_) __ (_) Buchhorster Strasse, D-16567 Muehlenbeck/Berlin, FRG,
_/ \_ Fax +49 33056 82152 eMail dave@turbocat.de
(______) http://harvey.aball.de/dave
DEVELOPMENT * CONSULTING * ADMINISTRATION

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedApr 13, '97 at 11:08a
activeApr 30, '97 at 9:23a
websitepostgresql.org...
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

David Wetzel: 2 posts Keith Parks: 1 post