On 8/23/13 11:23 AM, Greg Stark wrote:
This doesn't generate a unique id. You could back up a standby and restore it and point it at the original master and end up with two standbies with the same id.
If you want to enforce something unique throughout a cluster, I think we're stuck with having the cluster communicate IDs across an entire cluster. AFAIK that's how both Slony and londiste 3 do it.

I think it's also noteworthy that Slony and londiste both rely on the user specifying node identifiers. They don't try to be magic about it. I think there's 2 advantages there:

- Code is simpler
- Users can choose a naming schema that makes sense for them
--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect jim@nasby.net
512.569.9461 (cell) http://jim.nasby.net