Some time ago, I wrote:
I've been studying the bug reported at
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20130617235236.GA1636@jeremyevans.local
After some contemplation, I think that the most practical way to fix
this is for deconstruct_recurse and distribute_qual_to_rels to
effectively move such a qual to the place where it logically belongs;
that is, rather than processing it when we look at the lower WHERE
clause, set it aside for a moment and then add it back when looking at
the ON clause of the appropriate outer join. This should be reasonably
easy to do by keeping a list of "postponed lateral clauses" while we're
scanning the join tree.
Here's a draft patch for this. The comments need a bit more work
probably, but barring objection I want to push this in before this
afternoon's 9.3rc1 wrap.

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql