On 6/2/13 4:45 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
Will this add too much cost where it doesn't help? I don't know what to
predict there. There's the obvious case of trivial transactions with no more
than one referential integrity check per FK, but there's also the case of a
transaction with many FK checks all searching different keys. If the hash hit
rate (key duplication rate) is low, the hash can consume considerably more
memory than the trigger queue without preventing many RI queries. What sort
of heuristic could we use to avoid pessimizing such cases?
I've struggled with that for a while now. Probably all we can say is
that there might be one, and if there is not, then manual decoration
of the transaction will be the way to go.
Just an idea... each backend could keep a store that indicates what FKs this would help with. For example, any time we hit a transaction that exercises the same FK more than once, we stick the OID of the FK constraint (or maybe of the two tables) into a hash that's in that backend's top memory context. (Or if we want to be real fancy, shared mem).
--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect jim@nasby.net
512.569.9461 (cell) http://jim.nasby.net

grouppgsql-hackers @