On 1 June 2013 21:26, Robert Haas wrote:
On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
If we set a bit, surely we need to write the page. Isn't that what we
were trying to avoid?
No, the bit only gets set in situations when we were going to dirty
the page for some other reason anyway. Specifically, if a page
modification discovers that we've switched epochs (but just once) and
the bit isn't already set, we can set it in lieu of scanning the
entire page for tuples that need freezing.

Under this proposal, pages that don't contain any dead tuples needn't
be dirtied for freezing, ever. Smells like awesome.
Agreed, well done both.

What I especially like about it is how little logic it will require,
and no page format changes.

--
  Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

grouppgsql-hackers @